Monday, May 28, 2012

Pesto Tomato Frittata

Today I awoke to a wondrous thunderstorm and it stayed super rainy and stormy all morning.  So dark in fact, that if felt like night and a most productive night indeed.  Because of the extreme lightning we had all the computers unplugged and tvs off and had to do things in the house!  Oh My!

Frittata before cooked
Started with laundry and actually read some of my magazines, which was thrilling, as that rarely happens.  In doing so, found my recipe for breakfast:  Pesto Tomato Frittata.  Wasn't too sure on it, because I am not known for being the biggest fan of pesto, I want to love it, and try again and again to love it, but I just never do, just too strong or something, can't really describe it.  However, I was tempted by the thought of green eggs and the beautiful tomatoes from the market.  Plus, we still had the mozzarella leftover from last weeks market and pesto in the freezer from last summer.  So I showed Thomas, asked his opinion, saw his look of doubt and plowed forward.

Used hamburg and sicilian buttercup eggs for this, meaning they were small white ones that are fairly rich in flavor, because those chickens don't lay everyday.  Followed the recipe, except instead of mozz on top, I used cheddar cheese curds cause I didn't have any extra mozz and I cooked bacon first and used some of that leftover fat for the pan, rather than all just olive oil as the recipe says.  It was so good I didn't know pesto could be so good.  Definitely a "keeper" recipe.  Truly delicious, highly recommend.

Frittata after cooked
Recipe as I followed:

6 small eggs
1/4 cup basil pesto
coarse salt & pepper
1/2 cup mozzarella
1 tsp olive oil
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
bacon fat
handful of cheese curds

Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl beat eggs with pesto, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp fresh ground white pepper, 3/4 mozzarella.  In a large nonstick skillet (we have a massive one), heat oil and bacon fat over medium-high.  Add egg mixture and cook, stirring slightly, 1-2 minutes.  Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on top and sprinkle with cheese curds.

Bake until puffed and center is just set, 10-12 minutes (our oven took like 9 minutes).  Let sit 5 minutes, cut into wedges and serve!  (with bacon, yum yum)

On my plate with bacon, yum.



2 comments:

  1. Will you make it again next week so I can have some? Yum! Pesto is one of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to see, don't know if we'll be able to get more tomatoes at the market this weekend!

      Delete

Have questions - Ask Away! Have comments - Let us know what you think!